Job offer External Relations and Advocacy Manager
Location: Brussels (Belgium) or The Hague (Netherlands)
About the Europeana Foundation
The Europeana Foundation is one of the key players in the digital cultural world. As an independent non-profit organization, we operate the Europeana platform, which supports the cultural heritage sector in its digital transformation. This work and our contribution to other digital initiatives help develop an open, informed and creative society.
With staff based in five countries, our international team operates in a hybrid work culture. Our team based in the Netherlands has the option of coming to work in our offices or working remotely. Our main office is based at the National Library of the Netherlands, next to The Hague Central Station.
Our teams based in Belgium, France, Italy and the UK are working entirely remotely from there.
As Head of External Relations and Advocacy at the Europeana Foundation, you will manage and develop strategic positioning and relationships to maximize the impact of the Europeana brand in the digital cultural heritage landscape and help strengthen the role of Europeana vis-à-vis the Member States.
Working directly with the Chief Executive, you will develop a narrative and messaging that promotes the values and goals of the organization and develop the engagement strategy with key EU stakeholders.
Working closely with the MarComms team and Member State Liaison, you will develop and implement an advocacy and stakeholder engagement strategy to support an integrated organizational approach to communications, marketing and stakeholder engagement and you will lead the company’s communications and advocacy activities within this. approach.
This position is key to the success of Europeana as it helps to better understand and raise awareness of the organisation, the value it brings and its role in the cultural, digital and political landscape.
Occasional work-related travel to The Hague would be required if based in Brussels, and to Brussels if based in The Hague.
- Identify and develop relationships and engagement opportunities with key stakeholders and opinion leaders in EU policy circles
- Advise the management team on strategic communication issues
- Provide strategic advice to the Director General on developments in EU policy areas which affect the Europeana Foundation and its partners, in particular the digital and cultural agenda, as well as relevant legislative and regulatory changes
- Manage and develop the positioning and brand messages of Europeana and the Europeana Foundation
- Develop a strategic advocacy and stakeholder engagement strategy and oversee the company’s tactical communications and advocacy plans
- Represent the organization at meetings, events and working groups
- Present on the developments of Europeana and the Europeana Foundation
- Oversee reputation in key relevant media.
Knowledge and experience required
- More than 10 years of professional experience in communication and advocacy at a strategic level
- Proven networking skills, with the ability to engage effectively with a range of people from different backgrounds and perspectives
- Experience working with and gaining buy-in from senior level partners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of EU politics
- Established network in EU political and media circles
- Awareness and understanding of the communications and advocacy strategic landscape, including digital and new platforms
- Leadership and motivation skills
- Second European language (preferably French).
Salary and benefits
- A monthly gross salary between 4,600 and 5,500 EUR (based on full-time employment), depending on your level of experience
- 8% holiday pay and a thirteenth month bonus
- A full-time 12-month CDD, with possibility of extension
- 42 days vacation per year (based on full-time employment)
- A pension plan will be based on the country you work from, if applicable
- An inspiring work environment and an international organizational culture
- A hybrid working model with the option to work in the office or remotely (for staff based in the Netherlands)
- We provide a company laptop and offer a WFH stipend to offset monthly work-from-home costs
- Compensation for travel expenses for people based in the Netherlands
How to register
The position is open until filled
You must have a valid work permit to work in Belgium or the Netherlands.
If you are interested in this position, please send your Curriculum Vitae plus a cover letter, both in English to [email protected]
The Europeana Foundation is committed to respecting the principles of diversity, inclusiveness, non-discriminatory practice and equal opportunities for all applicants.