Foreign Ministry requests report on Syed Ali Shah Geelani’s funeral

J&K Police said to give a detailed report.

The Foreign Office (MEA) has requested a detailed report from J&K police on the burial of former President Hurriyat Syed Ali Shah Geelani, who died at 92 from a prolonged illness on September 1 in Srinagar.

A senior police official confirmed The hindu that a report was being prepared on the “sequence of events” between 10:30 p.m. and 5 a.m. on the night of September 1 to 2, during which time the last rites of Geelani took place in the region from Hyderpora to Srinagar under high security.

Sources said that a Geneva-based rights organization raised the issue of Geelani’s burial with the Indian government.

According to his family, police officers broke into their home in Hyderpora and the room where Geelani’s body lay around 2 a.m. on September 2, took the body “by force” and hastily buried it ” against the will of the family ”. The family also claimed that Geelani’s two sons were not allowed to participate in the last rites, which included ablution and burial.

The family also claimed that Geelani’s two sons – Naeem Geelani and Naseem Geelani – were not allowed to participate in the last rites, which included ablution and burial.

However, police have released a series of videos showing Chief Hurriyat’s ablution and burial carried out by locals, police and a few relatives. There are no independent photos of the funeral as photojournalists were not allowed to cover the event.

Contingency plans

Police sources said J&K police prepared a ‘plan G’ – a burial plan for Geelani several years ago, to ensure that funeral prayers do not turn into a major public order situation. . The police had also established a “security corridor” to the cemetery.

Although the police seemed undecided until the last moment on whether to bury Geelani at the “Martyrs’ Cemetery” as she wished or at her birthplace of Dooru in Sopore, Baramulla, or Hyderpora, Srinagar, the current residence by Geelani.

Even 10 days after his death, the cemetery on the Srinagar Airport Road near Hyderpora continues to have a strong security deployment, with a 24-hour guard. It remains off limits to scribes and photojournalists. According to residents, the mosque next to the cemetery has also been closed for Friday prayers for the past two weeks.

Shirlene J. Manley